Monday 13 July 2020

The Hammers

During my early childhood in Derbyshire I was an enthusiastic follower of the local soccer team, Derby County ("The Rams") and was very proud when they won the Football Association Cup in 1946, beating Charlton Athletic 4-1 after extra time.   Much later in life, when I moved to the Midlands, I occasionally went to watch Coventry City ("The Sky Blues"), but they fell on hard times, dropping two leagues below the Premier, and I lost interest in the game. (These days I confine my watching to brief random TV broadcasts while standing in the queue at my local fish and chip shop.) 

I had therefore not been aware that the Premier League Club, West Ham United ("The Hammers"), had forsaken their 100-year-old home at the Boleyn Ground in Upton Park in favour of the London Stadium, built originally for the 2012 Olympic Games in the Stratford district of east London, until I saw this brilliant crossword clue (due to Russell Henwood in his puzzle in The Telegraph  on July 10th):

 The new stadium designed for West Ham United, perhaps? (7, first letter A).

No comments:

Post a Comment