Sunday 6 June 2021

Graduate longevity: cause or correlation?

The year of my birth was a perfect square, and y years ago my age was the fourth power of y. I started university when I was 21,  There were 143 in the cohort of undergraduates starting that year at Christ's College, Cambridge. An actuarial friend has kindly estimated that only around 32% of males born in Britain in the same year as me are still with us; taking that as the average should mean just (32 x 143)/100 ≃ 47 of the Christ's cohort remain among the quick. In fact, 83 of them are still alive and more or less kicking - 36 more than would be statistically expected if longevity were distributed evenly through society. If you wish to live longer, it seems you should get a degree, or perhaps partake of the waters and the wine at Christ's.

No comments:

Post a Comment